Saturday, April 26, 2014

Violence in YA Books? #AtoZChallenge


Yesterday during my conference period at work I went to the library in order to try to find a book to read aloud to my students for a few minutes each day these last few weeks of school. My students love to be read to, even if they're in the sixth grade now. As I was looking through the shelves of books with our librarian, the word violence kept coming up. Apparently books with violence can be okay when books sit on shelves in the library, but not okay to read aloud to our students. It seemed a little strange, but maybe it is just me? What do you think? How do you feel about violence in YA books?


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think any subject should be taboo. As long as the book isn't condoning violence, it may help readers understand the darker side of human nature in way that is healthy. The classroom seems like a safe place to explore heavier subjects.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs