Sunday, March 1, 2015

This Week's Releases: March 1 - 7


  • Welcome to This Week's Releases! The new weekly post on Beneath the Jacket Reviews that I will post every Sunday. I am going to discuss the releases of the week that I am super excited about, and why. Some weeks there may be a dozen books, sometimes there may be two or three, and sometimes there may be none at all. That's alright though, since it's just about books I am actually interested in!

Week #9: March 1 - 7

I did not realize just how many YA books were releasing this week until I began looking at the list. I'm on a very strict budget this month as well, which makes the realization that much more painful! Alas, I will just have to make a wishlist and try to pick some of them up in April instead! Here are This Week's Releases that I am interested in. 

1. The Memory Key by Liana Liu
Series: N/A
Release Date: March 3, 2015
Publisher: HarperTeen
Page Count: 368
Why I Want to Read It: I actually have some mixed feelings about this book, but overall I am definitely interested in reading it. It is a science fiction and dystopian, two things that I definitely enjoy in my young adult books. The ratings are a bit here and there, but I don't often pay much attention to that when I pick books (maybe I should, but oh well). Overall, I think that the premise is interesting enough for me to give it a try.

Synopsis:
In a five-minutes-into-the-future world, a bereaved daughter must choose between losing memories of her mother to the haze of time and the reality-distorting, visceral pain of complete, perfect recall.

Lora Mint is determined not to forget.

Though her mother’s been dead for five years, Lora struggles to remember every detail about her—most importantly, the specific events that occurred the night she sped off in her car, never to return.

But in a world ravaged by Vergets disease, a viral form of Alzheimer’s, that isn’t easy. Usually Lora is aided by her memory key, a standard-issue chip embedded in her brain that preserves memories just the way a human brain would. Then a minor accident damages Lora’s key, and her memories go haywire. Suddenly Lora remembers a moment from the night of her mother’s disappearance that indicates her death was no accident. Can she trust these formerly forgotten memories? Or is her ability to remember every painful part of her past driving her slowly mad—burying the truth forever?

Lora’s longing for her lost mother and journey to patch up her broken memories is filled with authentic and poignant emotion. Her race to uncover the truth is a twisty ride. In the end, Liana Liu’s story will spark topical conversations about memory and privacy in a world that is reliant on increasingly invasive forms of technology.

 2. The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski
Series: The Winner's Trilogy #2
Release Date: March 3, 2015
Publisher: Farrar Straus Giroux
Page Count: 417
Why I Want to Read It: I was not the biggest fan of the first book in this series, which was disappointing since everyone else seemed to love it. However, I was in a reading slump at that point, and that could have been a big part of it. I want to read the first book again to see if anything has changed, and definitely want to read the second book to give it another chance. I know some series get much better as they continue. Plus, the cover is gorgeous.

Synopsis:
Book two of the dazzling Winner's Trilogy is a fight to the death as Kestrel risks betrayal of country for love.

The engagement of Lady Kestrel to Valoria’s crown prince means one celebration after another. But to Kestrel it means living in a cage of her own making. As the wedding approaches, she aches to tell Arin the truth about her engagement…if she could only trust him. Yet can she even trust herself? For—unknown to Arin—Kestrel is becoming a skilled practitioner of deceit: an anonymous spy passing information to Herran, and close to uncovering a shocking secret.

As Arin enlists dangerous allies in the struggle to keep his country’s freedom, he can’t fight the suspicion that Kestrel knows more than she shows. In the end, it might not be a dagger in the dark that cuts him open, but the truth. And when that happens, Kestrel and Arin learn just how much their crimes will cost them.

 3. Mosquitoland by David Arnold
Series: N/A
Release Date: March 3, 2015
Publisher: Viking Children's
Page Count: 336
Why I Want to Read It: I have already seen great things about this book, and it has not even released yet. I know that it's too unusual with ARCs, but I have heard more about this than I usually do with other books. I think that road trip books are interesting, and the last line of the synopsis definitely has me hooked already.

Synopsis:
"I am a collection of oddities, a circus of neurons and electrons: my heart is the ringmaster, my soul is the trapeze artist, and the world is my audience. It sounds strange because it is, and it is, because I am strange."
After the sudden collapse of her family, Mim Malone is dragged from her home in northern Ohio to the "wastelands" of Mississippi, where she lives in a medicated milieu with her dad and new stepmom. Before the dust has a chance to settle, she learns her mother is sick back in Cleveland.
So she ditches her new life and hops aboard a northbound Greyhound bus to her real home and her real mother, meeting a quirky cast of fellow travelers along the way. But when her thousand-mile journey takes a few turns she could never see coming, Mim must confront her own demons, redefining her notions of love, loyalty, and what it means to be sane.
Told in an unforgettable, kaleidoscopic voice, "Mosquitoland" is a modern American odyssey, as hilarious as it is heartbreaking.

 4. Death Marked by Leah Cypess
Series: Death Sworn #2
Release Date: March 3, 2015
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Page Count: 400
Why I Want to Read It: I have not read the first book in this series yet, though I have been meaning to for quite some time now as it seems interesting. I have been getting more into fantasy lately, and it does seem like a good series to read as I get into the genre. It seems like it is going to only be a two book series as well, which is kind of nice since a lot of fantasy series are so long.

Synopsis:
A young sorceress’s entire life has been shaped to destroy the empire controlling her world. But if everything she knows is a lie, will she even want to fulfill her destiny? The sequel to Death Sworn is just as full of magic and surprising revelations, and will thrill fans of Leigh Bardugo and Robin LaFevers.

At seventeen, Ileni lost her magical power and was exiled to the hidden caves of the assassins. She never thought she would survive long. But she discovered she was always meant to end up, powerless, in the caves as part of an elder sorcerer’s plan to destroy the evil Empire they'd battled so long. Except that Ileni is not an assassin, and she doesn't want to be a weapon. And, after everything, she’s not even sure she knows the truth. Now, at the very heart of the Empire—its academy for sorcerers—the truth is what she seeks. What she finds challenges every belief she holds dear—and it threatens her fledgling romance with the young master of assassins.

Leah Cypess spins an intricate and beautiful conclusion to Ileni's story. In the end, it may not be the epic decisions that bring down an empire, but the small ones that pierce the heart.

Which releases are you looking forward to this week?



2 comments:

  1. I am currently reading The Winner's Curse and am looking forward to when I can get round to the sequel!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs