Saturday, March 14, 2015

Stacking the Shelves [42]


I am joining in on Stacking The Shelves, a weekly meme hosted over at Tynga's Reviews. It is an easy way to share what books you picked up that week, and to see what other people have picked up to read themselves.

How to Participate?

  • Create your own Stacking The Shelves post. You can use my official graphic or your own, but please link back to Tynga’s Reviews so more people can join the fun!
  • You can set your post any way you want, simple book list, covers, pictures, vlog, sky is the limit!
  • I am posting Stacking The Shelves on Saturdays, but feel free to post yours any day that fits you.
  • Visit Tynga’s Reviews on Saturday and add your link so others can visit you! 

THIS WEEK:

First of all, sorry if my activity has been a little less than usual, or responses have been slow. My computer is pretty much on its last leg...the display seems to be going, and it will randomly decide to go crazy if I use it for too long...which is awesome. I can't use Firefox at all without it freaking out, so my posts lately have been form Google Chrome...which I don't care for too much. The font/text seems different, and it's not something I enjoy. My husband did pick out a new laptop for me yesterday and it has been ordered, so hopefully it will be here within a week and things will be back to normal. Yippee!

I had spring break this week, and I managed to keep pretty busy, which was quite nice. Last weekend I went through and organized our main bookshelves a bit, and husband and I decided what books (a lot of textbooks from college) we did not feel like we needed anymore. I ended up taking a lot of books to Half Price Books on Monday to sell, and received about $80 from them. Pretty good...though it was three big bags full of books. Anyway, while I was there I did pick up a couple of books, since I got so much money from selling. I also received a review book this week, as well as a book I won from a giveaway, so let's get to them!

Purchased:

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
The Pre-Sloane Emily didn't go to parties, she barely talked to guys, she didn't do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—the one who yanks you out of your shell. 

But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just… disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-selected-definitely-bizarre-tasks that Emily would never try… unless they could lead back to her best friend.

Apple Picking at Night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance until Dawn? Sure. Why not?

Kiss a Stranger? Um... 

Getting through Sloane’s list would mean a lot of firsts. But Emily has this whole unexpected summer ahead of her, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected) to check things off. Who knows what she’ll find?

Go Skinny Dipping? Wait ... what?

Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor
Daughter of Smoke & Bone #2
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actuallygrows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

Goddess by Josephine Angelini
Starcrossed #3
How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.


For Review: 

Lucky Strike by Bobbie Pyron
A rich, southern voice tells the unforgettable story of two vulnerable outsiders, the lightning strike that turns their world upside down and the true meaning of lucky.

Nate Harlow has never had a lucky day in his life. He's never won a prize, he's never been picked first, he's never even won a coin toss. His best friend, Genesis Beam (aka Gen), believes in science and logic, and she doesn't think for one second that there's such a thing as luck, good or bad. But only an extremely unlucky person could be struck by lightning on his birthday... and that person is Nate Harlow. By some miracle, though, Nate survives, and the strike seems to have changed his luck. Suddenly, Nate's grandpa is the busiest fisherman in their small, beachside town. And Nate finds himself the center of attention, the most popular kid at school, the one who hits a game-winning home run! This lucky streak can't last forever, though, and as a hurricane draws close to the shores of Paradise Beach, Nate and Gen may need more than just good luck to save their friendship and their town: They need a miracle.


Won:

Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
In the small town of Ealing, Iowa, Austin and his best friend, Robby, have accidentally unleashed an unstoppable army. An army of horny, hungry, six-foot-tall praying mantises that only want to do two things.

This is the truth. This is history.
It’s the end of the world. And nobody knows anything about it.
You know what I mean.
 
Funny, intense, complex, and brave, Grasshopper Jungle brilliantly weaves together everything from testicle-dissolving genetically modified corn to the struggles of recession-era, small-town America in this groundbreaking coming-of-age stunner.

What books did you add to your shelves this week?

4 comments:

  1. Although I don't read the books I love those Laini Taylor covers! I wish I could sell my unwanted books but there is no value to them here and shops don't want to buy them from you. The books I can't trade end up going to the charity shops instead. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I enjoyed Goddess back when I read it originally! A great end to the trilogy I thought! Hope you enjoy all your new reads!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great haul! I recently got Grasshopper Jungle too and I can't wait to read it. I love quirky books! Since You've Been Gone is one that I've heard nothing but great things about. It sounds so amazing too! I hope you have a great week. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you paying more than $5 per pack of cigarettes? I'm buying my cigarettes over at Duty Free Depot and I save over 70% from cigs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs