Monday, January 26, 2015

25 Books/Series to Read While I'm 25

As I turned 25 yesterday, I started to think about if there were some books that I have been putting off reading for a long time, that I know that I really need to read while I'm in my 20s because it's the perfect time to do so. That had me using Google to search lists of books to read while you're in your 20s. While I took some suggestions off of the different lists, I also threw in some books that I feel are fitting. Ultimately, I wanted to make sure that this was still a list of books I really wanted to read, since I am pushing myself to make sure that I read all of these books before I turn 26. I think that it will be a fun challenge for myself, and I'm really looking forward to reading some of these books. Some are re-reads, and some are classics that I should have read a long time ago. Nonetheless, I think 25 is the perfect year to read them! 

1.Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Why? This one is definitely a re-read for me, but it's a long time coming. I read the first book again last year, but had planned to get through much more than that. I love the HP books, and it is definitely my favorite series. It seems like the perfect time to finish my re-reads.

2. The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
Why? This is another re-read for me, and it's also a long time coming as it has been years since I first read this series. You know, when the hype was high and everyone was reading them. Now that the hype has died down, and I've seen all of the movies, I'm interested in going back and reading these again.

3. Sarah Dessen's Books
Why? Yup, all of them. I am a HUGE Sarah Dessen fan, and have always picked up her books right away (so excited for her new release this year!!). Despite loving them so much, it's been a long time since I've read any of them, so I've decided to change that. Not only do I want to re-read them all, but I want to re-purchase all of them in the new paperback covers as well.

4. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Why? This book was on several of the lists that I found on Google. Since I already have it sitting on my shelves, it seems like the perfect time to pick it up. I have heard good things about it, too.

5. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Why? This is another one that was on almost all of the lists that I looked at, so that had me pretty much assuming that I need to read it. I am also a big fan of memoirs lately, so I am definitely interested in giving this a read very soon.

6. Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
Why? I think that I probably should have read this book a long time ago, so it's about time that I finally pick this one up. I hear that it's supposed to be really funny, and then I suppose I should watch the movie afterwards because I've never seen that either.

7. Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close
Why? This is another book that showed up on almost all of the lists, and I have been told by several people that I do need to read this book in my 20s. It might not completely relate to me, but I do think I would still really enjoy the story.

8. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
Why? This is another one that a lot of people have read that I have not. It's all about getting your dream career, which is something that I still daydream about as well. This is another one that I can watch the movie for once I read it because I haven't seen it yet either.

9. Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by Maya Van Wagenen
Why? Because I really want to read it...

10. I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
Why? I have heard great things about this book and author. I want to start getting into some adult books, and this seems like a great starting point.

11. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Why? I have two copies of this book now, from the same friend. I think that is a pretty big sign that I finally need to read this classic!

12. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Why? This is another classic that I cannot believe that I have not read yet. They even talk about it on Friends, which I'm obsessed with...I know, shame on me.

13. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Why? This has been one of my favorite movies since I was young, so I think that it's probably about time I read the book it was based off of.

14. The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
Why? I have heard so many great things about this one. As I'm trying to pick up adult books, it seems like a pretty good choice.

15. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Why? This is another one that I have been meaning to read for a long time, but everyone tells me it's pretty depressing, so I put it off. It's another one where I can watch the movie afterwards though, which is especially great because Andrew Garfield is in it.

16. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Why? I am already passed by college years, which means that it's about time that I actually read this one. I have not read anything by Rainbow Rowell either, so it's about time that I change that.

17. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Why? This is another one that I should have read a long time ago. It showed up on all of the lists that I found, so I think that's a pretty big sign I need to read it now.

18. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
Why? I have heard great things about this adult novel as well, and it won the Goodreads aware in 2013. I think that is more than enough reason, especially since it showed up on a couple of the lists that I found.

19. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Why? This is another one that I just really want to read, and tons of my friends say that it's amazing. Then I can watch this movie as well.

20. He's Just Not That Into You by Greg Behrendt & Liz Tuccillo
Why? I LOVE this movie. It is so, so funny. I had no idea that the book was actually nonfiction, and while I'm not sure it will be completely relevant to me, I still really do want to read this. I'm sure it's going to be pretty amusing.

21. Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin
Why? This is another movie that I absolutely love. It's one of those that I could just watch over and over again. I have also had this book on my shelf for a couple of years, so it's about time that I finally pick it up and read it.

22. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Why? I have been meaning to read this one for awhile. A friend got it for me probably a year ago, and I still haven't read it. I did pick it up at the beginning of the school year, but things were hectic and I didn't get too far in. I've heard amazing things though, so I do want to read it soon.

23. Anything by Nicholas Sparks
Why? Yup, another popular author that I have not read yet. I have seen plenty of his movies (he sure likes to kill characters off at the end, doesn't he?), but I haven't read any of the books. This is the year that I'm going to change that, though!

24. Wild by Cheryl Strayed
Why? Like I said earlier, I really do enjoy reading memoirs. This one won a Goodreads award in 2012, so that definitely says a lot as well. I know this one is a movie now, and I have heard that it's a wonderful story. I'm just very interested in it.

25. Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Why? Yup, you guessed it, another memoir. I can't help it, I just really enjoy it. This one seems to be a lot of short stories, so that will be a bit of a change for me. This one has been on my radar for quite some time, so I'm excited about actually reading it.


6 comments:

  1. Sarah Dessen has been my favorite since I was in middle school. I may have to re-read some of my favorites too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never Let Me Go sounds amazing! I like depressing books and have never heard of this one :)
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list! I recommend listening to the audio book of Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me. She narrates it herself. Along for the Ride is the only Sarah Dessen book I finished. I've Got Your Number is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read I've Got Your Number and it's good (as all works of Sophie Kinsella's!). I am a big fan of Sophie and I'm not even a fan of chick lit! Somehow, I can only stomach her books, I don't know why. I hope you'll like her books too! I've been wanting to read Life After Life but for some reason I couldn't get into it. :/
    UnderCover Critique

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like a great list! Many of these are on my TBR as well. (I still haven't finished the Harry Potter series for the first time...) I really love both Fangirl and A Little Princess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am currently re-reading Ready Player One and loving the pants off of it. So good! I can also vouch for Fangirl - I could really relate to the main character and her awkwardness. Gone Girl was amazingly twisted, and you will hate everyone. At least, that's what I did. Didn't like The Devil Wears Prada and I've Got Your Number much. For Devil, I watched the movie first and it is just SO good that the book kind of fell flat in comparison, and for Number.. not Kinsella's best, but still kind of enjoyable.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs