Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Teacher Stresses


As many of you know from reading my blog, I do not do a lot of personal posts around here. As this is a book blogger before anything else, I usually decide not to bore you guys with these things (as, especially during summer, my life is pretty dull). However, with the school year starting up again before I know it (at least training/staff development). I thought it might help to write out some of stresses to help deal with them. If anyone else around here teaches, let me know if you have any advice/helpful information. This is only going to be my third year, so I'm still pretty new! 

A lot of people do not think about all the stress that teachers go through, especially in the summer with a new year looming in the near future. However, I feel like there are a million different things for me to do/get, and here are just a few of the stresses running through my head right now! 

  • Classroom Library - In the last school I was in, my students did not take good care of my books. They took advantage of the ability to use them instead of bringing their library books to class every day, but they did not treat them right. Now that I am moving to a new school, I am upset that my students are going to have books that have been torn apart. Now I have to figure out how to get more middle grade books without breaking the bank. 
  • School Supplies - While students are given a school supply list of things they must bring to school, those things are for use in every class, and so it's not always the most helpful for each individual classroom. I use interactive notebooks in my classroom, so lots of scissors, glue, markers, colored pencils, and crayons are used. Unfortunately, these were not treated right either, so now I have to replace them all, and that adds even more stress. Usually I have close to thirty students in each class, with six classes a day, so that's a lot of supplies needed to make sure we can do what I have planned for class. 
  • "Work" Clothes - I hate clothes shopping anymore, which makes me sad since I used to love it. Unfortunately, my body has finally decided (after 24 years) that it's ready to start changing like crazy on me. My hips are ridiculous, so finding pants is a nightmare, and I just don't enjoy it. Also, I do believe that my district takes their teacher dress code much more seriously, which means dressing up a bit more than I used to. The idea of finding new clothes that fit right without spending too much money is exhausting. 
  • Organization - No matter how hard I try, I am never as organized in my classroom as I wish to be. I spend most of the summer trying to figure out how I am going to do things differently in order to make these sorts of things run smoothly. It's still stressful wondering if it will actually work, though. This causes a lot of time on Pinterest (not that I mind). 
  • Classroom Set-Up - While in middle school a lot of teachers seem to believe that they do not need to decorate their classroom like middle school, I am not one of those people. I go all out, and it's something that I enjoy. I believe that the students really enjoy it, too. It is time consuming though, and I always stress out that I won't have enough time to get it all done (I always do, though). This year I'm doing superheroes, and I'm pretty excited about it! 

So, those are just a few things that are on my mind at the moment (no big deal, right? Ha!). It does have me losing sleep and stressing out, but I'm trying to work on all of it. If you have any advice/tips on anything, or know where I could get some cheap middle grade books/school supplies I would really appreciate it. Thanks for anyone who bothered to read this, I know it's probably not the most exciting thing, but I appreciate it! Happy Wednesday! :]



1 comment:

  1. I had no idea how stressful that could all be! Plus the way a teacher decorates is the only thing that makes a classroom interesting. Something has to offset those fluorescent lights :P

    Superhero theme is a great idea. As for books, are you around any flea markets? I go to one that has a ton of middle grade book and they are all in really great condition and only a dollar. A lot of the books aren't old either, 1-2 years tops. However, I'm not sure if you need 30 of one book...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs