Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Top Ten All Time Favorite Books in the Science Fiction Genre


Happy Tuesday! I'm linking up today for Top Ten Tuesday over at The Broke and the Bookish. I am really enjoying this link up already, so I know that it is something that I am going to try to keep up with as time progresses. This weeks prompt is the Top Ten All Time Favorite Books in the X Genre (choose the genre). I decided on Science Fiction, which might be cheating a little since so many books fall into the category. None the less, it is one of my favorite genres, so it just made sense to choose it.

1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 
J.K. Rowling 
I know that everyone says that the Harry Potter books got better with each one, and I do believe that is true - that the writing got better. Everyone gets stronger the more that they write. However, the third book has always been one of my favorites in the series. I know it has a lot to do with Sirius Black coming into the picture, as he is one of my favorite characters throughout the whole series. I just like everything that happens in this one. Hermione using time to her advantage, punching Draco, all of that fun stuff.

2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowling 
Come on, you didn't think only one HP book would make the list, did you? I am way too much of a Potterhead to allow that to happen. I do love the last book in the series, and I think it is difficult not to. Sure, a lot of people are upset about all of the death that happens, but I just applaud Rowling for going through with it; doing what she needed to in order to make the story believable. After all, seven books later things could not just end without anyone getting hurt, right?

3. Divergent 
Veronica Roth 
While I liked the whole series, the first book in the series was definitely my favorite. There was just something about meeting all of the characters for the first time, watching Tobias and Tris come together, that makes the book so enjoyable. It had the right amount of action, suspense, romance. I really enjoyed it, and I know that it is a book that I could probably re-read several times without getting tired of it.

4. Catching Fire
Suzanne Collins 
When it comes to this series, I cannot say that I liked the first book at all. For awhile I thought something was wrong with me; everyone else seemed to love the series, and I could not even get through the first book. I don't know if it was just too slow moving for me or what, but I didn't enjoy it. However, after watching the second movie I decided to continue with the series and enjoyed Catching Fire very much. It was the only book of the trilogy that I actually enjoyed reading. It just seemed more fast paced and believable for me.

5. Endless
Amanda Gray
I just read this book within the last week, but it has already become one of my favorites. I never really thought about reading a book about time travel, at least not one in the YA genre, but I am SO glad that I found this one on NetGalley. I really enjoyed having the flashbacks to a past time, and it was interesting learning about her ability to see things, the pain of others, just from touching someone else. Science Fiction at its best, people!

6. Here
Ella James
Aliens? Yes, please! I don't know about you guys, but I have grown to be a fan of aliens. My husband is a huge believer and will occasionally have shows on the television that I end up watching bits and pieces of. I find them intriguing, and it is not any different when I meet Nick or Gabe in this book. It's definitely an interesting twist on your typically fantasy story.

7. Deadly Little Secret
Laurie Faria Stolarz
Honestly, it has been awhile since I have read this book, but I remember that I absolutely loved it. I also remember it having some really cool paranormal things that came into play, outside of your normal vampires and werewolves (I can only read so many books about those, if I'm being honest). Man, now I really need to go back and re-read this one again.

8. The Lovely Bones
Alice Sebold 
I know that this book is pretty contemporary, but I also feel that it strongly falls into Fantasy as well. There is a lot of time spent in the in-between, and in places that people could not realistically travel to and then continue to tell their story. I know that there are very mixed reviews about this book, but it has been one of my favorites for a very long time, even if it is completely haunting. (This one is more fantasy, but I still wanted it on the list!)

9. Cinder
Marissa Meyer
Eee, I cannot believe that I almost forgot about Cinder! I was going through my "Read" shelf on Goodreads, deciding what to include, and I almost skipped right about it! Cinder is one of my favorite books of right now, though I guess I could say that about almost every book that I read this week. Still, it is incredible. I love the twist on the retelling of Cinderella.

10. I Am Number Four
Pittacus Lore 
Honestly, this is the only book that I have read in this series. I enjoyed it a lot, more alien types, what's not to like, right? However, then I went to the theater and saw the movie, and it just kind of ruined the whole thing for me. I also heard the books following weren't nearly as good as the first, so I have stayed away from them so far. Still, I feel like this one was very good on its own, and I would recommend it to others.

There we have it. Are any of these on your list? 



12 comments:

  1. Good list, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban has always been my favorite book in the series as well and I also love Cinder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is just something about PoA that makes me love the HP series even more. Like I said, it might be the storyline with Sirius, though...my husband and I liked his character so much that we named our pup Sirius! :]

      Delete
  2. Great List!! I loved Harry Potter, but shamefully I still have to read the final book in the series. I also loved Divergent and Catching Fire. I liked the first book in the HG series as well, but Mockingjay was a little disappointing.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT. I followed you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have to read the last book as well! I stayed up way too late to read it when I got it (after standing in line at midnight the night it released) I was still in high school though, so that was easier then, I could not stay up that late now if I wanted to! I was very disappointed with Mockingjay, unfortunately. :/

      Delete
  3. Great list, I am Number 4 almost made my list... I really need to finish that series. Thanks for stopping by my blog, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really need to read the rest of the series, too. I liked the first a lot, but didn't hear great things about the others. I guess I need to read them and make my own opinions, though! :]

      Delete
  4. You know, I claim to love Sci-Fi books, but I've only read one of these... Anyway, you have given me several books I've never heard of that I am now going to look into. So, thank you for choosing this genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has happened to me several times as I have looked through the Top Ten Tuesday link up this week! I thought that I loved YA contemporary, but there have been so many good ones listed that I haven't even heard of yet! I am glad I gave you some new ones to look up! :]

      Delete
  5. Eeee! *hugs all the books* I love Cinder and The Hunger Games...and I'm pretty slow on Harry Potter. I've only read the first 3 books, but I so WANT to read the rest. I loved the Prisoner of Azkaban. It was so funny and clever, although I spent way too much time worrying that Hermione was going to stress herself to death with all that schoolwork. Ron is so funny, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugging books is such a wonderful thing to do! I feel like the world would be a much better, happier place if everyone just hugged more books! This makes me want to go buy more books to hug...sigh, I spend too much money! haha. Hermione is always stressing herself out, that just gets worse as the series continues!

      Delete
  6. Mentally clapping cause I've read almost all of the books on your list! :) I like the sound of Endless by Amanda Gray, I may be adding it to my TBR pile. Ahhhhh! So many things to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's great that you have already read most of the books on the list! I feel like I am so behind on my own TBR list! Endless really is a great one though, so you should definitely consider it! :]

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs