Thursday, March 6, 2014

Review - Allegiant

Allegiant 
by Veronica Roth 

Divergent Series #3 
Category: Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction - Dystopia, Fantasy
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books 
Release Date: Oct 22, 2013  
Edition: Hardcover
Page Count: 526
Source: Library

 “I fell in love with him. But I don't just stay with him by default as if there's no one else available to me. I stay with him because I choose to, every day that I wake up, every day that we fight or lie to each other or disappoint each other. I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me.”


Goodreads Synopsis: The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.


Review: Of course, I had to finish reading the series once I had already read the first two books. Now, I was very hesitant to read this one, and it took me awhile to get through it, but it was not because it was not good. A friend had already told me how the whole series ended, so it took me awhile to get through it because I knew what was coming. (Don't worry, I am not going to give any spoilers!). Despite that, and the length of time it took me to get through the novel, I am still very glad that I read it. Finishing a series seems like it can be a very stressful thing for an author. While I have read tons of reviews about people being upset with the ending, I feel that Roth did a wonderful job. She did what had to be done, and I can respect her for that. 

This book made me love Tris even more than I had in the first two novels, and I already liked her quite a bit. At this point it has become quite obvious that she has grown so much since the very beginning of the series. Though she is still struggling to forgive her brother and decide what is right, she seems to finally come to terms with who she is, and who she wants to be. She has gotten passed listening to what everyone else seems to think is right, and has begun doing what she believes is the right thing. Ultimately, she becomes the ideal heroine for me, and that is something that I am very happy about. 

Tobias frustrates me a bit in this book, but I guess that makes sense. Roth did a great job of making her characters real, and it makes sense that Tobias would act a little oddly when he is told that he is "genetically damaged" instead of purely divergent like he had grown up to believe he was. He has to deal with his views on that, and it ultimately leads him to make some bad decisions, and later have to beg for forgiveness for them. Still, I believe that this all needed to happen in order for the story to make sense and go the way that it needed to be. Despite everything, I still absolutely love Four; he is an amazing character. 

Their romance finally gets back to a place where I am happy with it, though it is not easy for them with Tobias messing up some things. Still, they did agree that they would not lie to each other anymore, and it is great that they went through with this promise. I was a little concerned at some points that it was not going to happen, but this shows their obvious growth as a couple. Despite the problems they have, there is still so much chemistry between the two of them, and I could not help but love them. They have their problems, but they also make each other whole, and that is a very important thing to find in book couples. 

Overall, I was very pleased with this book. It was nice to get more insight on Tris' mother, and how much she had to do with the foundation of everything that Tris knows as her world. Some of it was surprising, which was also nice. Not everything was laid out for the reader, and instead you have to keep reading to find out the truth. Roth gives us more information about why the factions are there, how they were created, and what goes on outside the walls of Chicago. Roth did a wonderful job building two completely different worlds, and then throwing her characters into both of them (mostly blind). I would certainly recommend this series to everyone. Definitely read the books before seeing the movies, too. 

Rating: 4.0/5.0





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs