Monday, September 8, 2014

Cover Concepts: September 7 - 13

Happy Monday! Welcome to the feature Cover Concepts on my blog. Every Monday I am going to create a post with all of the young adult book covers that are releasing within the week. I will then tell you all what I think about the covers; If I love them, or if I think that they could be better. At the end of the post, I will give you all a chance to vote on your favorite cover of the week. As I pick a lot of my reads based on their covers, this seemed like the perfect feature for me to begin on the blog. Feel free to leave comments with your opinions of the covers as well, and we can discuss them! :] 

Sorry everyone, I know I usually have this posted much earlier in the day! Unfortunately, life happens sometimes, but I am not skipping out on Cover Concepts this week, it's just a little later in the day! Once again there are a ton of books releasing this week; I guess September is a big month for YA book releases. Because of this, there once again will not be a poll at the bottom. However, I would LOVE to see some comments from you guys! Are you enjoying these posts? Is there anything I should change? Let me know what you think! 

1. The Caller by Juliet Marillier - September 9
Shadowfell #3
 Thoughts: For starters, it does seem to match the other two covers in the series. It seems to be the same girl, so that is always a plus. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of having a model front and center on a cover like this. I do think that it could be worse, though. It depends on your taste.

2. Hunt for the Bamboo Rat by Graham Salisbury - September 9
Thoughts: Um, this cover is certainly interesting. I do like illustrated covers, of course, but I'm not sure about this one, either. I am interested, but I am not sure how the picture relates to the title at all. Yeah, it's okay.

3. King Dork Approximately by Frank Portman - September 9
King Dork #2
Thoughts: I think that this is pretty cute. I like how the cover looks like a book, like it's meant to be a book cover like you use on textbooks in school. The font is interesting as well. I definitely prefer this to obnoxious cover models.

4. Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White - September 9
Thoughts: Goodreads made it very difficult to save and upload this picture, so I don't appreciate that at all. Other than that, though, I actually do like this cover. I am okay with the model since we cannot see her whole face (is that mean? Oh well). I do think that it is interesting with the birds flying out of the cup, too. It adds a little something.

 5. Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley - September 9
 Thoughts: Simple. I'm digging it. Thank you for no horrible cover model. Well done cover designer.

6. Kiss of Broken Glass by Madeleine Kuderick - September 9
Thoughts: I am SO glad to see so many great covers that don't have models on them this week. I guess they are starting to see the new trend, and that people might want some new things. I love the font here, and I definitely love the shards of glass at the side of the book. I think that this is a great cover.

7. Falling into Place by Amy Zhang - September 9
Thoughts: I have been in love with this cover from the very first time I heard of it, and when ARCs were being released. I love the font and how it's falling off of the road. I love all of the formulas and calculations in the background. I think it's just really well done.

8. Of Monsters and Madness by Jessica Verday - September 9
Thoughts: Honestly, the band Of Monsters and Men is the first thing that popped into my head when I read this title. I can't help it, I love them. Moving on, this cover is a little bit terrifying (and by a bit, I mean a lot), and I am pretty sure that is the point. The girl looks creepy, as does the rug or whatever is all over the floor. I don't read horror books, but this cover makes me consider reading one.

9. Egg and Spoon by Gregory Maguire - September 9
Thoughts: Well, I like that it's an illustrated cover, but I'm not sure that I really love this one. I think that the colors are pretty, though. I guess I just don't understand the title of this one and what it could possibly be about, so that is throwing me off.

10. The Twyning by Terence Blacker - September 9
Thoughts: Oooo, another illustrated cover! I am definitely seeing a theme this week, and it's making me very happy! This one definitely says fantasy, which is even better. I really like the color contrast between all of the dark spots on the picture, but then the single light in the forefront. I think it's very well done. 

11. Winterkill by Kate A. Boorman - September 9
Thoughts: Interesting, I have no idea what it's about, but now I am interested to find out. I love how the word is made to look like some kind of fence to the small town in the picture. Someone is running away from the two too, it seems. I am interested enough to pick it up.

12. Paper Airplanes by Dawn O'Porter - September 9
Paper Aeroplanes #1
Thoughts: I strongly believe that this is a release of a book that is already available in another country. I want to say the UK, but it could also be Australia, I'm not positive. I do think that the cover is pretty nice, though. Once again, I like that the model's faces cannot be seen, and I think that helps my opinion.


Poll: There we have it, those are the majority of the young adult books releasing this week. Which cover is your favorite of the week? Seeing as there are SO many books this week, I'm not going to create the poll as usual. Instead, simply leave a comment telling me your favorite cover this week and we can discuss them! :]





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs