Monday, September 15, 2014

Cover Concepts: September 14 - 20


Happy Monday! Welcome to the feature Cover Concepts on my blog. Every Monday I am going to create a post with all of the young adult book covers that are releasing within the week. I will then tell you all what I think about the covers; If I love them, or if I think that they could be better. At the end of the post, I will give you all a chance to vote on your favorite cover of the week. As I pick a lot of my reads based on their covers, this seemed like the perfect feature for me to begin on the blog. Feel free to leave comments with your opinions of the covers as well, and we can discuss them! :] 


Once again, my post is super late this week. Sorry about that! I usually try to plan most of my posts on the weekend (especially this one, since I post on Mondays), but we had a pretty busy weekend! No worries, I am here now! Once again, there are tons of new releases this week. Apparently September is a huge month for YA releases. Because of this, I won't be posting a poll again, but I would love to comment about the covers this week!

1. The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey - September 16
The Fifth Wave #2
Thoughts: I still have not read the first book in this series (I know, I know), but I do know that a ton of people have been waiting a very long time for this book. I thought that the cover of the first book was done pretty well, but I do have to say that I like this cover even more. I love the water at the front, the tunnel at the top, and the shadow in the middle. I think that it's very well done.

2. Made For You by Marissa Marr - September 16
Thoughts: I have heard wonderful things about this book, and while the cover freaks me out, I do have to say that it is pretty well done. I like the texture of the background and the font of the title. I am not a fan of bugs (I hate them), so I can't say I enjoy that part, but I am assuming there is some reason behind it.

3. Blackbird by Anna Carey - September 16
Blackbird #1
Thoughts: There is something about this cover that I really, really like. I didn't really expect to either since there is a face on it, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as usual. I think it's something about the hair, and how the title makes me picture a bird there, and then the face is just an after thought. I like the title, and I even don't mind that tagline too much. It actually makes me intrigued by the book. I would say this is a win.

4. The Perilous Sea by Sherry Thomas - September 16
The Elemental Trilogy #2
Thoughts: Wow, along with there being a ton of releases this week, there are also a ton of great covers. I like how this one matches the first book in the series so well, but that it follows along with the title (fire for the first one, water with this one). I like how the water is making a cool shape, and I really like the font of the title as well.

5. Echoes of Us by Kat Zhang - September 16 
The Hybrid Chronicles #3
Thoughts: Perhaps I did speak a bit too soon when I said there were so many great covers this week because this certainly is not one of them. Here is an example where I am not a fan of the model's face being on the cover. I don't understand why it's randomly covered up, other than the fact that the other two covers in the series are the same. It just looks awkward, just like the title font.

6. Get Even by Gretchen McNeil - September 16
Don't Get Mad #1
Thoughts: I have been a big fan of this cover since I originally saw about the book. I guess it might be because I'm intrigued by the synopsis, but I think that the cover looks nice, too. I like the shadows of the girls, though I do wish they didn't all seem the same size and height since that seems pretty unlikely, even in YA stories. I do like how the title is the only thing that has a whole lot of color, though.

7. Falls the Shadow by Stefanie Gaither - September 16
Thoughts: I had not heard of this book, nor had I seen this cover until I started working on this post. I am intrigued by it, but it also creeps me out a little bit. When I looked at the cover small, I thought that the letters were people standing there, which was interesting. I do like the font, and I also like how the faces are so different, and how one is obviously a shadow. 

8. Day 21 by Kass Morgan - September 16
The Hundred #2
Thoughts: This book has one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to covers, aside from horrible cover model pictures. I cannot stand when the series title is bigger than the title of the actual book. Cool, yeah, I want to know it's a series, but I want to be able to tell what the title of the book is, and I would be confused here. I am interested by the cover, but that completely ruins it for me. 

9. Sway by Kat Spears - September 16
Thoughts: I LOVE this cover! I think that it's the cutest thing ever. I think it's because the whole bench scene reminds me of another contemp I have read and loved lately, but I just think that the illustrated cover is adorable. I LOVE the title font as well. This is really well done!

10. Being Audrey Hepburn by Mitchell Kriegman - September 16
Thoughts: It definitely looks like Audrey Hepburn, if that is what they're going for? I do think that was probably the case. I am not a huge fan because it's a cover model that takes up most of the space, but it does make sense based on the title. I like the sunglasses and the store in the background. It's pretty decent.

11. Evidence of Things Not Seen by Lindsey Lane - September 16
Thoughts: I am a little unsure about this cover. I like about half of it, but then there is another half (you guessed it, the half with the person) that makes me incredibly unsure about it. I do like the bottom with the connecting lines and what not - I feel like it goes along with the title. It could be a lot worse, I suppose.

12. The Vault of Dreamers by Caragh M. O'Brien - September 16
Thoughts: That eye is CREEPY! Other than that, I am pretty much okay with this cover. I do think that it's a bit bland, but something that's fine. I like the circle and the details that were put into it, and how it looks like a target around the eye.

13. Jackaby by William Ritter - September 16
Thoughts: I am a HUGE fan of this cover! I have been looking at it for some time and never really noticed the picture that was going on in the background. Usually I wouldn't like a scene going on inside the model's head, but I don't mind this one too much. I love the colors and the font, so I think that it's a win.

14. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson - September 16
Thoughts: I have been a big fan of this cover since I first saw it as well. I love the simplicity of it, but the fact that there is still so much color involved. I think that the font of both the title and the author's name are great, too. I think that it's really well done.

Poll: There we have it, those are the majority of the young adult books releasing this week. Which cover is your favorite of the week? Seeing as there are SO many books this week, I'm not going to create the poll as usual. Instead, simply leave a comment telling me your favorite cover this week and we can discuss them! :]  

 


1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, I love that cover of Jackaby. It makes me wanna read it immediately (and the blurb sounds fantastic as well). I quite like the look of Made for You too, because it's slightly creepy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs